Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Can Summer Camp really help children with disabilities?

As part of my research, I have read different website in reference to summer camp for children with disabilities. Summer camp provides great opportunity for children with disabilities that allow other to interact with children without a disability. Children without a disability give them moral support to help them to build their self confident. During a home visit a parent stated how summer camp has really giving her child the greatest learning experience with peers and adults. The child was diagnosed with Autism last year. She was provided with many resources to council her with the child. One day someone asked her “have you ever thought about sending him to summer camp?” She replied “No” They gave her the information she needed to receive more information. So she contacted the summer camp and she was able to receive information to enroll her child into summer camp. She stated this was the best thing that ever happens for her and her child. She explained that her child is much calm, focus, and able to interact with peers.

4 comments:

  1. There is no doubt that summercamp can have an amazing impact on a child's life. I have also learned through reading Brea's blog about ESY services and how these can services can actually be incorporated into summer camp programs! I had never really thought about summer camp programs that are designed specifically for students with special needs, or whether or not they are inclusive programs, and it is great to hear about all of the benifits they have to offer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Summer camps can be a great experience for all children, with and without disabilities. For many children with disabilities, summer camps provide necessary structure, although in terms of fun activities which help them to build fine and gross motor skills, as well as social interactions with peers and adults. I am a great supporter of inclusive summer camps and greatly enjoy being a part of these programs every summer. I completely agree with you about the benefits for the typically developing children as well. This gives them the opportunity to learn to accept people for their differences, while appreciating their commonalities and shared interests.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with out question summer camp provides children the opportunity to explore things in a different way. Many summer camps that offer special camps. I know that MDA offers a summer camp program and every child there has MDA, it may be varying types but still MDA. I think that this is great so that children understand that they are not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this is a great topic to research. I agree that summer camps can have a major impact on all children, but especially those children with special needs. A feeling of belonging is something that most children with special needs truly want, and I believe summer camps, both those who specialize in special needs and those who do not, give these children this opportunity. Attending summer camps allows these children to experience growth cognitively and socially, which are detrimental aspects to a child as they develop throughout life.

    Thank you for sharing your information with us. I never considered the importance of summer camps for families and their special needs children prior to your discussion and I will definitely make a point in my future career to suggest summer camps as a wonderful option for their children to continue their growth and development throughout the summer months.

    ReplyDelete